There have been times when we all have regretted sending an email. With WFH becoming the ‘New Normal’, we are constantly juggling between mails to complete the daily assigned tasks. With the continuous exchange of mails happening for most of the day, we often end up sending the wrong mail to the wrong person.
So, the question is – can you unsend an email in Gmail? Yes, you can. You can unsend emails in Gmail, but only for a short period after you send them. We have a simple solution for how to unsend or recall Emails on Gmail.
Here what you need to do if you are wondering how to recall an email in Gmail.
First things first, Gmail does have a default Undo send function. When you send an email in Gmail, you’ll see the undo option popping up on the bottom left of your screen. This allows you to recall the email immediately, within 30 seconds.
How to unsend mail in Gmail
the Undo Send feature of Gmail only delays the email — it doesn’t actually recall accidental emails sent to others. This means, if you set the Send Cancellation Period to 30 seconds, Gmail doesn’t actually send the message until 30 seconds after you click Send. To enable this feature
- Click the Google gear icon in the top right of your screen
- Select Settings
- On the main tab, scroll down to Undo Send
- Now click on Enable
- Set your cancellation window – the choices range from 5 to 30 seconds
- Click on Save Changes at the bottom of the page
How to Recall an email in Gmail
- Open the Google docs and type your message instead of typing it directly in the compose form.
- Go to the File and click on the Share option.
- Click on Advanced link located at the bottom of the pop-up window.
- To set document expiration time, click on the clock icon.
- Choose a custom date from a calendar. Then, click the Save button.
- Now, compose a new email then click the Drive icon to include the document you just created.
- Select the file you’d like to attach and send the mail
You can also follow these steps to enable the “Confirm Before Sending” settings in Gmail mobile app
- Open your Gmail app from your mobile app
- Tap on the three-bar icon located at the left of your screen.
- Go to Settings. Here, under the General settings, scroll down, and under the Action Confirmation section, check the box – “Confirm before sending” from the available options.
Tip: We encourage all of you to proofread and double-check attachments in the future. This will not only save you time but will also protect you from any embarrassment!