Multiple ways are there to share files on Mac: Google Drive folder, AirDrop, Dropbox, etc. However, if you want to send or receive a large volume of files via web download or over email, the RAR or Roshal Archive Compressed file format would be quite useful. RAR files need to be opened using special software. Learn how to open RAR files on Mac in this article.
Read more: How to Completely Uninstall an App on Mac in Different Ways?
How to open RAR files on Mac?
Unlike other files or folders, RAR files cannot be opened immediately just by clicking on them. An app or software is needed to reverse the file compression to open the files. Several free apps are there that can be used for the same. The Unarchiver app is one of the best in this category. Here is how to use this software to open the RAR files on a Mac:
Go to the App Store and download The Unarchiver
- Once the app finishes downloading, a screen will appear asking for the kind of files you want to open
- Common ones will already be selected
- Go to the Extraction tab and choose the way you want the software to handle the folder which was created when you open a RAR file
- The RAR file should display the icon of The Unarchiver but if it does not, right-click on the file, select Open With and choose The Unarchiver
- Double click on the .rar file
- The Unarchiver will open a window where you need to choose the destination folder for the RAR extraction folder or create a new folder
- Once the folder destination is selected, click the Extract option at the bottom right
- The RAR file is now a folder and all the files in it can be accessed now
How to open RAR files on Mac with Unzip Online?
You need to install an app or software on your device only when you have a large RAR file to extract. However, if you are dealing with a small RAR file then you may use an online extractor such as Unzip Online to accomplish the same. Here is how it works:
- Visit the Unzip Online website
- Click on Choose File
- Choose the RAR file on your Mac and click Upload
- Choose Uncompress file
- Wait for the process of extraction to finish
- Click on the file you want to retrieve
- Click Allow
- The file will be downloaded on your Mac
- Choose any other files you need to retrieve and similarly save them too
Watch this YouTube video to have a better understanding:
A word of caution for opening .rar files is not to download them off of the Internet or unknown sources as they might have malware. However, if you have received the RAR files from a known person then there is no reason to worry. You just need to follow the process as mentioned and things should go as they are supposed to. If you have any questions or suggestions, let us know in the comments section below.
Also read: 9 Ways on How to Manage Mac Storage