Listen as audio
The question may arise why would somebody need to download YouTube videos when they are available for free at any time? Well, people may like to download some of their favorite YouTube videos to watch for entertainment when there is no internet access. If you want to know how to download YouTube videos in laptop, we got you covered.
How to download YouTube videos in laptop?
Using YouTube Premium
Previously YouTube videos could be downloaded directly from the platform but after the launch of YouTube Premium, only paid subscribers can download the videos. Here is how it is done:
- Open YouTube on your laptop’s browser
- Ensure that you are logged in to your YouTube Premium account
- Choose the video you want to download and click on the three-dot menu under the video
- Hit Download from the dropdown menu
- Click on Downloads on the lower left side of the screen to watch the downloaded videos
On a mobile device, the menu item of the YouTube app is labeled as Download Video and you can click on it to download the videos. To watch the downloaded videos on a mobile device, you need to go to the Library tab and click on Downloads to watch the videos offline.
Watch this YouTube video:
Using VLC Media Player
If you are not subscribed to YouTube Premium, you can download videos from the official website of VLC Media Player. The process is given below:
- Select the video you like to download from YouTube
- Copy the URL from the address bar of the browser
- Open the official website of VLC
- If you are using a Windows laptop then click on Media in the menu bar and select Open Network Stream
- Mac users need to click on File and then choose Open Network
- Choose the Network tab
- Paste the YouTube video’s URL under the section that says Please enter a network URL:
- Hit Play or Open at the bottom
- The video would start playing within a few moments
- Click on Tools in the menu bar and then Media Information if you are using a Windows laptop
- If you are using a Mac, click on Window and then Media Information
- Find the Location field in the Current Media Information tab
- Select and copy the URL
- Paste the URL into the address bar of your browser and press Enter
- Once the video starts playing, click on the three-dot menu at the bottom and select Download
- The video would be saved on the laptop as an .MP4 file that you can rename and move anywhere else
Downloading videos from YouTube may not be illegal in most cases but it may violate some terms and conditions of Google. Ensure to follow the laws of the country. Uploading someone else’s content on YouTube may result in copyright infringement which may lead to the cancellation or deletion of the duplicate channel completely.
Suggested read: How to Use Video Downloader Plus Chrome Extension in 2023?
There are other video players available online that you can use to download YouTube videos. Some may need you to download and save their .exe files or software on your device. There are Google Chrome extensions as well that assist with downloading videos from YouTube. Let us know in the comments section below if you know how to download YouTube videos in laptop in any other way. If you like this article and found it useful, share it with others.