Listen as audio
Whether or not the AirPods are paired with your iPhone, they can connect with your MacBook through Bluetooth with ease. The AirPods can be paired with Windows laptops as well. Learn how to connect AirPods to laptop to watch videos, listen to music or podcasts, conduct meetings over Zoom, and more.
How to connect AirPods to laptop?
Connect AirPods to MacBook directly
If the AirPods are not connected to your iPhone or if you do not own an iPhone, they can be paired with MacBook easily. Here is how:
- Open the lid of the AirPods charging case but do not remove the AirPods from it
- Press and hold the button on the back of the charging case
- Wait until the status light starts flashing
- On the MacBook, click the Apple menu and select System Preferences
- Click Bluetooth
- The list of devices would have your AirPods listed that you need to click on and then choose Connect
- Once the connection process is done, the AirPods shall appear at the top of the Device list, all set to be used
Watch this YouTube video for a better understanding:
What to do if there is trouble connecting?
If for some reason, the pairing cannot be done, you need to update the MacBook. To install the first-generation AirPods, the minimum requirement is macOS Sierra and macOS 10.14.4 to install the second-generation AirPods.
Even after being in the list of Bluetooth devices, the AirPods would not connect, you need to remove them from the list by clicking on the ‘X’ option. Start over the pairing process again.
In case the problem persists, you need to reset the AirPods and try again. Press and hold the button on the back of the charging case for at least 15 seconds with the AirPods inside. Stop when the status light flashes amber.
Connect AirPods to MacBook when they are already connected with iPhone
The AirPods are designed to connect to a MacBook automatically if it is using the same Apple ID as the iPhone. If it is the same with you, the process is mentioned below:
- Open the AirPods charging case
- Click on the Volume icon, which looks like a speaker, on your MacBook
- Choose the AirPods in the Output Device option and it should be connected
Suggested read: Two Ways to Connect Airpods to MacBook
What to do if the connection does not work?
Certain settings need to be enabled if the MacBook does not pair with AirPods while being paired with iPhone already. You need to start by opening the System Preferences option from the Apple icon in the menu bar.
Ensure that the MacBook is using the same Apple ID as the iPhone. Check and confirm by clicking on the Apple ID. Then ensure that the Handoff is also turned on. To check that, go to System Preferences and then click on General. There should be a checkmark next to the “Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices” option. If it is not checked, do it.
You need to turn on the volume icon if you do not see it in the menu bar already. To do it, go to System Preference and click on Sound. Then click on the checkbox next to the “Show volume in menu bar” option.
Also read: How to Pair Apple AirPods with Windows 10
Connect AirPods to Windows laptop
Your Windows laptop can be connected to AirPods through Bluetooth. Hence, you need to ensure that the functionality is turned on. To do the same, go to Settings>Devices>Bluetooth and other devices and then turn on the toggle for Bluetooth. Bluetooth is also accessible from the taskbar and if you are using Windows 11, then there is even a Quick Settings option for Bluetooth.
Once the Bluetooth is turned on, follow the step-by-step guide given below to pair your laptop with AirPods:
- On the same page where you turned on the Bluetooth, you will find the Add Bluetooth or other device option, which you need to click
- Choose Bluetooth from the menu
- Ensuring that the AirPods are in their case, open it and press the white button on the back
- Wait until the indicator light becomes white
- Your AirPods would show up under the Add a device list
- Select your device
- As soon as the AirPods connect to the laptop, a message will popup saying ‘Your device is ready to go!’
- Click on done
Once the pairing is done, the laptop should remember the AirPods and it should automatically connect the next time you want to use them. However, if it does not, look for the name in the list of Bluetooth devices available and click to connect.
At any point in time, if the AirPods fail to connect to the laptop or you want to remove them manually, click the AirPods in the Bluetooth & other devices section and choose Remove device.
If you want to connect them back again, follow the same process as you did before.
Hope you found the information on how to connect AirPods to laptop useful and easy to follow. For any further questions write to us in the comment section below. Share this article with others to help them with the same query.