Google has an in-built backup function that allows users to back up messages to Google Drive. Before you learn about how to restore messages from Google Drive, ensure that you have a backup of the messages in Google Drive. This article explains the most effective methods to back up and restore messages to Google Drive.
How to restore messages from Google Drive?
Via factory resetting
This method is to be done only if you have the data backup. Otherwise, everything from the device would be erased. The process is mentioned below:
- Open the Settings app on your device
- Look for Backup & Reset or Reset options or search for Backup
- Choose as applicable
- Click on Erase all data (factory reset) option
- Confirm by keying a password or pin
- The device would restart
- The system would be reset to factory settings
- Launch the Settings app as the reset is complete
- Go to the Google setting or choose Backup & Reset
- Sign in to the Google account that has the backup
- Click on Sync and choose the data you want to restore
- Hit Restore all synced data
- The backed-up text messages shall be restored as well
However, it is to be remembered that anything new or data that has not been backed up already would be erased. This method is not ideal if you have sensitive data on your device and you are unsure whether or not it has been backed up.
Contact the Google Drive support team
You can contact the Google Drive support team as well to help you with restoring lost messages. Here is the process:
- Sign in to Google Drive
- Open the main folder
- Select the Contact us option
- Choose from the three different ways to contact them- chat/email/call as per your convenience
- Explain the issue using your chosen communication method and everything you have done so far to resolve the issue
- The support executive would look into your account and guide you on the way forward
However, if the issue is beyond their scope of help, they may not be able to help you with restoring the messages either.
Watch this YouTube video:
How to back up messages in Google Drive?
As already mentioned, it is important to have data backed up to be able to restore them if they are lost or deleted. Here is the way to do data backup:
- Open Settings on your device
- Go to Google
- Choose the Backup option
- Check the details and also ensure that the SMS messages would be backed up
- Hit Back up now
Suggested read: How to restore deleted files in Google Drive
Now that you know how to restore messages from Google Drive, you need not worry about losing or deleting your data by mistake, provided you have data backed up. Let us know in the comments section below if you know any other way to restore messages from Google Drive. Share this article with others if you find it useful.