Google Drive is one of the most widely used cloud-based storage solutions provided by Google. Once you save a file online on Google Drive you can easily access it from anywhere on any device using your Google account. One of the biggest pluses that Google Drive offers is the ability to share files and folders. You can share as well as decide who can collaborate or edit the shared files.
Today, we will discuss how you can restore a file that has been deleted from Google Drive. Sometimes, a user may accidentally delete a file from Google Drive and it may become difficult for them to recover it.
Easy methods to recover deleted files from Google Drive.
1. You can restore deleted files from Google Drive Trash –
Just as there is a Recycle Bin in Windows, even Google Drive has a Trash option where it keeps the file safe for 30 days. After 30 days the files are permanently deleted automatically. If you accidentally delete a file, you can look for it in the Trash. Follow these steps to do so –
- Login to your Google Drive.
- Then click on the Trash icon which may be also called Bin spending on which country you are in.
- When you find the file you are looking for, right-click on it. As you do that, a pop-up window will appear.
- You will see an option to ‘Restore’. When you click it, the file will be restored to its original location.
2. You can restore files from the Google Drive app on the desktop-
The desktop app of Google Drive automatically syncs all the files on your computer once you have configured it on your desktop. To look for a missing file, all you need to do is to check for files in Backup and Sync. To do so, follow these steps –
- Launch ‘Drive for Desktop’. On the left hand, you will see Google Drive Disk.
- Once you click on it, you will see all the copies of the important files.
- You can type in the name of the file in the search box. Or you can choose the file from the thumbnail of file icons.
- Click on the file you want and you are done!
3. Restoring the deleted files which have been shared on the Drive by others –
- If someone shares a file with you on Google Drive, it stays on the Drive unless it is deleted by the person who shared it. If you want to restore a file that has been deleted by the owner there are two options for you.
- You can restore a file after it has been deleted. You can even do so within 25 days of permanently deleting the files. It can be done using the G Suite Admin.
- To do so, log in to the Google Admin Console.
- On the Google Console, click on the ‘Users’ icon.
- You will then choose the user name whose data has to be restored and then click on the ellipsis icon which is available on the far right.
- A pop-up menu will appear. And you will see the ‘Restore Data’ option.
- You will then have to select the data range that you want to restore. Then in the ‘Application’ give the location as Drive. Then proceed to click on ‘Restore’.
If in case this method does not work, then you will have to get in touch with the Drive Specialist Team. This method is the last resort when all the above methods have not yielded any result. This is what you can do –
- Go to the web page of Google Drive. You will see the ‘?’ icon. Click on it and then click on “Send Feedback’’.
- Fill in the details in the required form and submit it. Once a team member from Google contacts you you can take their help to recover the file you want.
So, now you know the method to recover your deleted files from Google Drive. You can always keep an additional backup of your files in another backup tool. Hope you enjoyed reading. Stay tuned on Tech Thirsty!