If you want to protect your files and folders from malicious viruses and security threats, you should password protect them. Fortunately, Windows enables its users with a login password feature to protect the data on the computer.
Password protecting files and folders on Windows 11 is very much similar to protecting files and folders on Windows 10. However, if you are not sure about how it’s done, we are here to help you out.
But before we proceed further, let us take a look at some of the reasons to password protect files and folders.
Also read: Curated List of Must-Have Apps for Windows 11
Why should you password protect files and folders?
It is crucial to know why one should password protect files and folders. The reasons include:
- You get to secure your sensitive work files and folders
- You can set a password on files and then share it with people. This will allow only those users to access files who have the password
- No one else except you can look at your files and folders
So, now you know why you should protect your files and folders with a password. Read further to know how to password protect files and folders on Windows 11.
How to password protect files and folders on Windows 11 without third-party apps?
The best part about password-protecting files and folders on Windows is that you can do it without third-party apps. Windows offer an inbuilt feature to password protect files and folders.
Here’s what you need to do:
- First of all, open Windows File Explorer on your Windows 11 desktop or laptop
- Once done, just navigate to the file or folder you wish to secure with a password
- After you navigate the file or folder, right-click on it
- When you right-click, you will be able to see an option by the name PROPERTIES
- Tap on the PROPERTIES option. You will then see GENERAL TAB and under the tab, there would be an ATTRIBUTES section
- Under the ATTRIBUTES section, go to Compress or Encrypt attributes
- Once done, check the Encrypt contents to secure data option and tap on OK
- At last, just click on Apply and you are done
This will help you to protect files on Windows 11. Now, to protect folders on Windows 11, follow the steps below:
To protect folders on your Windows 11, you just need to add one additional step in the steps mentioned above.
Just after the second last step, you will see the two options;
- Encrypt the file and the parent folder
- Encrypt the file only
The first option is the most reliable one.
Now, we’ll take you through a third-party app that can be used to password protect files and folders.
Password protect files and folders with Easy File Locker
Undoubtedly, there are numerous third-party apps that helps you to password protect files and folders on Windows 11. But here we will talk about the most popular and trusted apps- Easy File Locker.
You can download this app for free and protect all your files on desktop. Here’s how to use the app:
- First of all, go to System and then select the SET PASSWORD option
- Now, enter a password and tap on OK. Make sure to set a strong password
- After this, head over to Files and Folders > Add Folder
- There you will see PATH besides which there would be a three-dot menu
- Tap on the menu and choose the file or folder you wish to protect
- Once done, you will see an ACCESSIBLE CHECKBOX, just uncheck it and click on OK
- Your file or folder will be password protected
If by any chance you wish to reverse file or folder encryption, you can do that with ease. Here’s how;
How to reverse file/ folder encryption on Windows 11
- You will first have to right-click on the file or folder you wish to un-encrypt
- After this, click on PROPERTIES and then go to the ADVANCED option
- From there, you are required to uncheck the “Encrypt contents to secure data option”
- At last, just on OK and APPLY
- The changes will then take effect
Also read: 10 Reasons You Should Upgrade to Windows 11
Hopefully, these methods to password protect files and folders have helped you. If you follow the steps mentioned in the blog, your data and sensitive files will be safe on your desktop.
It is always advisable to protect files and folders saved in your system. Share this guide with your family and friends to help them protect their files and folders as well.
If you want us to share a guide on any specific topic, do tell us through the comment section below.