Wondering what is GPS technology? Want to learn how GPS tracker system works? Technology has advanced and now there are different new ways to keep a tab on everything, your vehicle, pet, and even individuals. GPS (Global Positioning System) consists of 24 medium earth orbit satellites developed by the US Department of Defense and currently managed by the US Air Force 50th Space Wing. Each satellite transmits microwave signals to the earth. GPS receivers on the earth use these signals to determine their locations, speed, direction, and time.
A typical GPS receiver must have line-of-sight with satellites to calculate its position using signals from four or more GPS satellites. Four satellites are needed since the process needs a very accurate local time for the device to determine its time as well as position. These signals are then processed by the receiver to determine latitude/longitude, speed, altitude, and time.
3 Segments of the Global Positing System – GPS
GPS consists of the following 3 segments:
- Space segment – It consists of 28 satellites, each in its own orbit about 11,000 nautical miles above the Earth.
- User segment – This segment comprises receivers, which users can hold in the hand or mount in the vehicle.
- Control segment – The third segment of GPS consists ground stations (five of them, located around the world) that make sure the satellites are working properly.
GPS unit can calculate useful information, including:
- Trip distance
- Sunrise, sunset time, and more
You Might Also Like: Will 6G Technology Make Its Way in 2021?
How GPS Tracking System Works?
The GPS tells you where you are on Earth. It is currently the only system that correctly updates your exact position on the Earth anytime, in any weather, no matter where you are!
- Global Positioning Satellites (GPS) tracking system works by constantly broadcast signals to earth. A GPS device is positioned inside a vehicle or asset receives these signals. The device then determines its location on the basis of geometric calculations from the incoming satellite signals.
- Optional inputs such as a message display terminal, personal navigation device, PTO sensors connect to the device to provide additional messaging capabilities.
- The device then works as a wireless modem and transmits location, speed, heading, and other messaging information through the cellular network.
- The incoming information is further processed and stored on servers.
- The user logs into a website to view the current and past locations and activities of vehicles and assets.
Best GPS Tracker Systems on Amazon
CarX GPS Tracker
With three years trip history data, the CarX GPS tracker gives real-time location with 10 seconds update rate. It is also loaded with anti-theft tracking with 170 mAh in-built battery.
You can buy it from Amazon today for Rs. 2,049.
Drivool 890-IN is another great GPS tacker best suited for car, bikes, motorcycles, SUV, boat, trucks, and taxis. It sport three Satellite-constellations supported CHIP for maximum smooth tracking reliability, detect even weak network signal, 5.5v – 32v wide voltage power compatibility.
You can buy it on Amazon today at a discount of 70%.
You May Also Like: The 5 Best Cat Trackers with GPS
ZAICUS ST-901 Waterproof Built-in Battery GSM GPS Tracker
Build-in GPS Vehicles locator, Waterproof, ZAICUS ST-901 Waterproof Built-in Battery GSM GPS Tracker support 4-frequency GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz which can work worldwide. It is pretty easy to install and can be easily used for all battery operated vehicles.
Buy it today on Amazon for Rs. 1,599.
Onelap India Micro Plus
Slightly on the expensive side, the Onelap India Micro Plus is a Waterproof GPS tracker with engine lock and SIM card data. It effectively yields daily stats such as total distance, run time, idle time, stoppage time, maximum speed and average speed of a vehicle using smart and interactive graphs.
Amazon Prime subscribers can get the product with one day delivery.