Listen as audio
Search Marquis is a notorious malware that affects Mac and it makes the browser act weirdly. Every time you want to work on the browser, it redirects to sketchy search engines or unwanted web pages which is very annoying. Thus, it makes sense to remove Marquis from Mac Chrome. In this article, we would discuss how to remove Marquis from Mac Chrome.
How to remove Marquis from Mac Chrome?
- Open Chrome and click on Extensions
- Alternatively, click the three-dot menu followed by More Tools and then Extensions
- Look for suspicious extensions or those that you do not find to be right
- Click the three-dot icon option, followed by Settings and then Search Engine
- If Search Marquis or Bing.com is selected get rid of it by clicking on the three-dot icon followed by Remove
- Set your preferred search engine or Google as your browser
It is to be noted that most Adobe Flash extensions are frequently hacked.
Watch this YouTube video:
Clean homepage data and browser search
It is essential to get the browser back to its default settings and clear the history. To clear history on Chrome browser, you need to:
- Open Chrome
- Choose History from the menu bar
- Select the Show Full History option
- Hit Clear browsing data
- Choose the time range to All time preferably and tick Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, and Cached images and files
- Hit the Clear data button
Suggested read: Know How to Fix a Frozen Mac Update
How to remove Search Marquis from Mac?
You need to start with hunting for malicious apps and files on your Mac where Search Marquis may remain hidden.
To find the malicious files, you need to:
- Choose Finder
- Click on Go on the menu bar
- Choose Utilities
- Open Activity Monitor
- Look out for unfamiliar or suspicious resource-intensive activities in the Memory, CPU, and Battery tabs
- Usually, it will have an unthreatening name but on account of suspicion, Google it
- Once you have identified the culprit, hit the x button at the top left
- Choose Force Quit to confirm
Be extremely cautious while deleting processes or files as deleting the wrong one may damage your system.
To find the malicious apps, you need to:
- Click on Finder
- Choose Applications
- Alternately, press the Shift+Cmd+A keys together
- Look at the list of apps and try to identify the app that you do not remember downloading or the one that seems suspicious
- Drag it to the Trash and empty it
Remove suspicious login items
As soon as you switch on your Mac, the malicious files start as well. To get rid of them you need to:
- Go to the System Preferences
- Choose Users & Groups
- Click on the Login Items tab
- If you find any unwanted or suspicious app that you do not recognize, check the box next to it and hit the – (minus sign) button
Remove leftovers related to Search Marquis
It is crucial to delete all files connected with the hijacker for optimum results. To do that:
- Click on the Go menu
- Choose Go to Folder or press Shift+Command+G keys together
- Copy each of the folder names given below one by one and paste them into the search box:
- Hit Go
- Look out for the items that have “search marquis” in their name on each folder
- To save time looking into all the files in the library folders, type marquis into the search box
- If you find anything, move them to Trash and empty the Trash folder
Double-check before deleting any file or folder as if you delete any system-forming files by mistake, it can make the system crash.
Although unlikely, Macs can be affected by malware and viruses. Thus, it is better to learn how to remove Marquis from Mac Chrome should you ever need it. Let us know in the comments section below if you found the information to remove Marquis from Mac Chrome helpful and easy to follow.