Switching your GPU from intel to Nvidia is a simple but effective trick if you want to improve performance and battery life of your gaming device. The use of a dedicated NVIDIA graphics along with Intel graphics helps to reduce battery life.
If you are looking to change GPU from Intel to Nvidia, we have some helpful tips.
Why change GPU from Intel to Nvidia?
You might have decided to change your Intel graphics card to Nvidia graphics to improve your gaming experience. Switching from the default Intel HD Graphics to a new Nvidia card has some basic requirements. Firstly, it requires application profiles to be able to make the switch seamlessly.
Do note that it is imperative to use the right graphics card at the right time. If you run the wrong programs on the wrong graphics processor, your system’s display performance can be affected adversely. This will happen especially when you play heavy games on your PC.
In case the application doesn’t have such a profile, the graphics card can also be implemented manually.
What is GPU?
Graphics processing unit or GPU
Graphics processing unit or GPU is a specialized processor, which is designed to accelerate graphics rendering. GPUs have the ability to process many pieces of data simultaneously, making them very useful for video editing, machine learning, and gaming applications.
How to switch from Intel Graphics to Nvidia?
These steps may vary from computer to computer.
- Right click on your desktop and then select Graphics Properties
- It will open the Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel. After this tap on Advanced Mode and click ok
- on the next window, select the 3D tab and set your 3D preference to Performance Mode. now apply
- Choose the Power tab and set the Power Plans to Maximum Performance and click on apply
- Now close the Intel Graphics Control Panel and right click on the desktop again.
- Then select the control panel for your dedicated GPU (usually NVIDIA or ATI/AMD Radeon)
- NVIDIA graphics cards. For NVIDIA cards, click on Adjust Image Settings with Preview, select Use my preference emphasizing: Performance and click Apply
- Tap on Manage 3D Settings and open the drop-down menu for Global Settings
- Choose the High-performance NVIDIA processor as the preferred graphics processor and click Apply
- Open the drop-down menu for Program Settings and apply. Search for the Artlantis application
Setting your Nvidia card as the default graphics card
- When the PC recognizes the Nvidia GPU, head for your Windows desktop and right-click on a free space
- Now choose the “Nvidia Control Panel” option
- This will open Nvidia’s control panel . Search for the “Manage 3D Settings” button and tap there
- It will open 2 tabs from which the first one is “Global Settings”. Click on it to open a drop-down list of options
- It will show “High-Performance Nvidia Processor”. when you will choose this it will set Nvidia graphics card as preferred graphics processor
- Click on the “Apply” button to save changes
It may happen sometimes that the graphics driver crashes and needs re-installation or an update to function properly.
In this situation, you are left with only one choice that is, re-installing the Nvidia graphics driver.
Here’s how you can do so:
Reinstalling Nvidia graphics driver software
- Click on the Windows Start button
- Serach for “Device Manager”
- Now under this, look for the “Display Adapters” option . Click it and then right-click on the Nvidia card
- List of options will appear, Choose “Uninstall device”
- Nvidia driver will be uninstalled
- Now head to Nvidia’s official website and download the latest driver
- At last intsall it
Update your Integrated GPU (main GPU) and your NVidia GPU drivers
You will need to update both of your GPU drivers. Follow the steps mentioned below to do so:
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run
- Type devmgmt.msc
- Press enter to open the device manager window
- Go to the Display adapter section and expand it
- Right click on the main GPU (e.g. Intel HD Graphics) and choose ‘update driver software’
- Now click on “Search automatically for updated driver software”
- The device manager will search for drivers online
- Now update the device drivers. Do not restart the PC after installation of updates
- Right click on the main dedicated GPU (i.e. NVidia) and choose update driver software
- Then “Search automatically for updated driver software”
- Now at last restart your PC
GPU vs Graphics card
Often the terms GPU and graphics card are used interchangeably, but these two are different. Just like a motherboard has a CPU, a graphics card refers to an add-in board which incorporates the GPU.
The bards also have the raft of components that is required to allow the GPU to function and connect to the rest of the system.
This is the complete guide on how to change GPU from Intel to Nvidia. Along with this, you now know additional things to update and re-install Nvidia GPU drivers. It has now become easy for you to change GPU from Intel to Nvidia with the steps mentioned above.
For more such information keep reading more about tech on Techthirsty. For any queries and suggestions you can reach out to us through the comment section.