Users are required to create and set up a Microsoft account on their Windows phone for streamlined functionality. A Microsoft account provides access to a range of services including Xbox,Marketplace, etc. The procedure is simple and only requires choosing and adding an account and then signing in.
But what if the user wishes to change that account on the phone? They may want to link a non-Microsoft account or use a different account specifically for the phone for a personalized experience. It is also possible that they may have forgotten the lock screen password or the password to their previous email.
So, here is how to change Microsoft account on Windows phone.
How to Change Microsoft Account on Windows Phone:A Guide
The only solution to this is to set up a new Microsoft account. This can be done by factory resetting the phone to delete the previous account. For this, go to ‘Settings’ and click on ‘System’, ‘About’ and then ‘Reset your Phone’. Unfortunately, there is no other trick that tells you how to change Microsoft account on Windows phone.
However, this means that all your data and apps stored in the phone will be lost since this data was connected to your previous account. It is suggested that before resetting the phone, a back up is created on your personal computer.
You Might Also Like – Simple Steps To Temporarily Disable Instagram Account
How to Change Phone Number or Email Address of Microsoft Account
Before understanding how to change Microsoft account on Windows phone, it is important to note that the process is an irreversible one. You can always change your email or phone number instead.
Step 1. Log into your account by opening ‘Manage how you sign in to Microsoft’.
Step 2. Tap on ‘Add email’ or ‘Add phone number’ and then verify the details by following the instructions on the screen.
Step 3. Upon verification, click on ‘Make primary’ to make the newly added number or email the primary one.
Step 4. You can then remove the old details from the account if you wish to.
Step 5. Once this is done, uninstall the Teams app from your phone and download it again to apply the changes.
Step 6. Sign in to the app with the altered details.
Important Points to Note:
- Once you delete a particular Microsoft email address, you will not be able to access it again. Microsoft permanently deletes that account from its database.
- You will not be able to view One Drive files, open the Skype account or send and receive emails on any of the platforms.
- If it is not a Microsoft email, then that account will not be deleted from the database. This means that email can be used on some other Microsoft account.
- In any case, make a backup of the data linked to the account to prevent data loss. It is always better to keep the previous email and add the new one as alias to the account.
- The old email cannot be deleted unless a new email is added. So, add the new email and then decide whether you want to remove the old email.
For further assistance, you can visit the Microsoft support page.