A very important part of any physical fitness routine, which many people overlook, is stretching. Stretching, for most people, is a very small part of their pre and post-workout routine. But ask any fitness expert, and they will tell you how vital it is that stretching should be given more importance and it should be done consistently. One of the most important benefits of stretching is flexibility. Focusing on a particular muscle group can increase its range of motion and also improve the circulation. However, most people think that flexibility is the only benefit of stretching during a workout. This could not be further from the truth.
What are the benefits of stretching?
- Stretching can help in healing the muscles. A full body stretching routine works great on men and women. After a person completes an exercise routine, the muscle fibres need to be realigned so that the muscles are relaxed after the workout. A full body stretching routine is crucial to help in preventing any muscles tears in the body. In case you want to do a full body stretch but don’t know where to begin, check out this free Android/iOS app.
- Stretching can help in optimising the results of the workout. On one hand, a good overall workout will give you strength, on the other hand, stretching improves our ability to bend and turn our muscles more smoothly. To follow a customised stretching routine, check out this app.
- A full body stretching routine can help both men and women feel more relaxed and de-stressed throughout the day. There are some stretching routines which help you practice breathing along with stretching.
Important points to know about full body stretching:
- Stretching for warm up or cool down in a fitness routine and stretching done to improve flexibility are two completely different concepts. If someone is aiming at improving body flexibility, then stretching should be done in addition to regular fitness routines.
- Asses your body type. Try and understand what your body needs. If you are unable to bend without pain in your back, then your stretching plan should be to make your lower back more flexible. Stretching routine should be made considering your end goal in mind.
- Take professional help. A professional will be able to help you understand which muscles of your body need to be stretched more. Many people are unable to identify their problem areas. If you don’t want to consult a fitness expert, you can check out some amazing flexibility and stretching app. One such app is Stretchit. There are videos with for stretching with clear instructions. Download Stretchit from here.
- Be consistent. Please do not consider stretching to be of any less importance than your regular workout. Aim at performing your fitness routine for at lease 2 times in a week. You can do a small routine every time you workout.
- Stretching for a minimum of 30 seconds. For any stretch to have its benefits maximised, it needs to be held for at least 30 seconds. In that time, the muscles overcome the tension and continue to relax.
Stretching can help you achieve far greater benefits from your workouts and you can do them anytime and anywhere!
If you have queries about finding exercising resources from home, reach out to us. Our experts will be happy to help!