Tired of annoying spam calls? Wondering why you are getting so many calls from the telemarketers? It is quite irksome to be continuously bothered by a robot un-heartedly trying to sell or promote something. This is even more annoying when you start getting these spam calls early in the morning or even super late at night and disturb your peace of mind. If you are wondering how to stop spam calls and texts, then these easy steps will help you put a stop on unwanted SMS and calls.
Activate DND service on your mobile to stop spam calls and texts by following these simple steps:
- Open the “Messaging app” on your mobile phone
- Create a new message and type “START 0”
- Send this SMS to 1909
Another simple way to stop spam calls and texts is:
- Open the dialer of your smartphone
- Dial 1909 and carefully follow the instructions to activate the DND service on your mobile
Social media sites like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Google keep an eye on your online activity and provide details of your preferences to the advertisers. In case you have made your phone number public on any of these sites, it is quite natural that a lot of companies have your number on their marketing database. Also, sometimes when you fill out a contest entry, sign-up form, or enroll in an in-store promotions or rewards program, you willingly hand over your cell number, which can even end up in the wrong hands. To avoid hackers spoofing your number, the below mentioned tips will help you stop spam calls and texts.
Simple consumer tips to stop spam calls and texts and avoid phone scams
- Avoid answering calls from unknown numbers. In case you do pick up, hang up immediately.
- It is often difficult to tell right away if an incoming call is spoofed or not. Be cautious, just because your Caller ID flashes a “local” number, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it is a local.
- In case you have picked up a call from an unknown number and the Robocaller asks you to press a button to stop spam calls and texts, its safest to disconnect the call immediately. This is the most common trick used by scammers to get their hands on mobile data and other confidential information.
- “Never, ever” divulge your identifying information or even personal information; including account numbers and Social Security numbers to unexpected callers.
- Set a password for your voice mail account in your phone. Since a few voicemail services are preset to allow access if you call in from your own phone number, it gives hacker an open ground to spoof your home phone number and steal access to your voice mail.
- To block telemarketing calls, register your number on the Do Not Call List as mentioned above. Normally the legitimate telemarketers refer the list in order to avoid calling both landline and wireless phone numbers on the list.
We hope this simple information will help you stop spam calls and texts.