Emptied your Recycle Bin accidently? Formatted your Pc and lost important files? The ability to save permanently deleted files from computer is critical to the success of a business or personal project. Thankfully, permanent deleted files can be recovered in Windows 10. But, for this you will have to stop using your computer or the drive device. Let’s find out how to recover permanently deleted files in Windows 10 without software.
Steps To Recover Permanently Deleted Files
When faced with a data loss scenario, follow these steps to undelete or retrieve the lost information in Windows 10.
- Open the Start menu.
- Type “cmd”, right-click on the top match, and select “Run as administrator” to run the Command Prompt with an administrator privilege.
- Type “chkdsk X: /f” and hit Enter on your keyboard. Replace “X” with the letter of your hard drive.
- Type “ATTRIB -H -R -S /S /D X:*.*” and hit Enter. Again, replace “X” with the letter of your hard drive.
You will have to be patient while you recover permanently deleted files in Windows 10. It is best not to do any other work on the system while the file recovery is in process as it could lead to overwriting of the deleted files, thus making recovery impossible.
You Might Also Like: How To Fix ‘This App Blocked For Your Protection’ Error In Windows 10
How To Recover Permanently Deleted Files In Windows 10 Without Software
You can also recover permanently deleted files from an older backup by following these simple steps:
- Connect your backup storage media with your Windows PC
- Press Windows + I key to go to “Settings”
- Choose “Update & Security” > “Backup”
- Click “Go to Backup & Restore”
- Click “Restore My Files”.
You can also do the same by:
- Opening the Start menu
- Now, type “backup” and press Enter
- Then, select the “Go to Backup and Restore” option under “Looking for an older backup?”
- Click on the “Select another backup to restore files from” option and choose your backup
- Click “Next” and follow the instructions to complete the recovery process
Remember, in case there are no available previous versions, you still can use this method: create a new file with the same name as the deleted file. Again: “Properties” -> “Restore previous version -> “Restore”. The only drawback of this method is that it doesn’t work always. And for it to work, one needs to remember the exact name and location of the document, else it will be impossible to recover permanently deleted files in Windows 10 without software. Also, data will be overwritten, and the files will disappear forever. This method also does not help if the lost data is video and audio files.
Also Read: How to Pair Apple AirPods with Windows 10
Let us know if you were able to recover permanently deleted files fro Windows 10 PC. Write to us if you are facing any difficulties in doing so. You can also sign in for our newsletter for more such handy tips and tricks.