The trend of buying gadgets and gizmos online has picked up strongly in India with deals and promotions and becoming an integral part of shopping experience. From the starting search to the final checkout, we are all looking for lucrative offers and deals offered by online retailers. As a matter of fact, tech giants have understood this competitive spirit flooding the global online marketplace, and are not shying away from introducing daily, weekly online deals on smartphones, tablets laptops and other tech paraphernalia. But are these deals, really a dealmaker or a dealbreaker?
Are Online Deals a Marketing Gimmick?
As per a recent survey from RetailMeNot, it is seen that deals and offers have a substantial influence on customer acquisition. It also highlights consumers’ brandperception and loyalty, especially among the millennial. Online deals play a pivotal role in not only sales but has a direct positive impact on product or business promotion. The result of the aforementioned study indicates that at least two-thirds of consumers “made a purchase they weren’t originally planning to.” The purchases were made only because of the discount coupon or attractive on-going online deals. It was also noticed that four out of five peoplewere encouraged to make a first-time purchase with a brand that was new to them if they found an offer or discount.
Honest Deals or Mind Games?
Online deals and coupons play a major role in what consumers decide to buy. The first step, when shopping online, is to search for a deal or offer. The online marketplace is expanding profusely with business owners and marketers aggressively pushing their promotion campaigns to target their niche demographics. These online deals and offers act as a spiral, catching the attention of the millennial and young adults.
Is Shopping Online Cheaper?
Shopping online indeed offers convenience. You get better price and an array of choices. Retailers do not always offer the same deals in stores as their online counterparts since the cost of running a physical establishment is way higher than an online store. Retailers, in order to keep up the profits, have moved online to meet the needs of their customers, but with less operational expense. Good online retailers then pass their savings to their customers by cutting the selling price of their products. However, one of has to be really wise while picking up a gadget from an online store.
Here are a few things to keep in mind to really reap the benefits of online deals.
- Since many websites offer dynamic pricing based on location, browsing history, and past shopping, the best trick to avail maximum discount is to shop incognito by opening a private window, or by continuously clearing your browsing history and cookies. Another well-tested trick is to use multiple e-mail IDs or phones of different family members to avail first time discounts and coupons.
- Always compare and check prices on various sites. iPhone user, Neha Sharma says that she chose from three different deals provided by different online stores, before picking up iPhone 6 64 GB variant. She also added, “Apart from deals, I am on a lookout for promo codes and try to apply them as in when available.”Another user, Sanjay Bakshi says, “Buying for me means taking advantage of online promotions.”
- If you don’t want to manually check websites for discounts, then you can opt for browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox, such as ShopSmart, BuyHatke, AfterCoupon India and MakkhiChoose. These automatically scan for discounts and coupon codes and apply them just before you check out on e-commerce websites.
- There are also chances that prices of same item will vary on daily basis during the deal and promotional season. It is advisable to keep your eye on the changing prices and pick the one that suits your pocket. You can also maximise savings while shopping by downloading suitable cashback apps.
- If you are on a budget you can also lookout for open box items. They are good as new and will not burn a hole in your pocket.“I bought an open box iPad Air on e-Bay for $100 less and it was absolutely new, says Rakil.
- You can also consider repaired items. They may not be as good as original but you can have a gadget or a phone of your choice for low price.Don’t fall for false marketing propositions like extended warranty schemes. Always go for warranty provided by the manufacturers.