Just few days back, Google unveiled the curtains, finally revealing the striking combo of Nexus 5 and Android 4.4 KitKat OS. With the launch of the brand new Google Nexus 5, which certainly beats Nexus 4 hands down when it comes to hardware and upgrades of softwares, here are some reasons why the previous generation Nexus smartphone is still handy.
- One big factor in the excitement surrounding the release of Nexus 5 was the launch of Android 4.4 KitKat OS. According to some reports, Google will push some updates into Nexus 4 and users can expect Android 4.4 specific features such as a smoother user interface, better touch response, improvement in the lock screen features and “ok Google”.
- Nexus 4 promises various system upgrades and improvements in the performance of applications. Applications such as Google Drive, Keep, Quickoffice will become native apps after the Android 4.4 upgrade.
- Custom ROMs that are based on Android 4.4 KitKat OS have been made public to allow for the upgradation of Nexus devices. Owners of Nexus 4 can run custom ROMs for tweaks and certain added features from developers that run older or newer versions of Android. Popular custom ROMs for instance CyanogenMod, Slim ROMs, Paranoid Android and Omega allow Nexus 4 users to get Android 4.4 KitKat on their phones. There are not official software upgrades, though they are recommended for users who are habituated to installing ROMs.
- Users can always recycle the Nexus 4 device by gifting to their loved ones. No matter you keep it of gift it to someone, the extended life cycle that comes with Nexus 4 brings optimization of older devices.
- The Nexus 4 is not as power packed in comparison with HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4 and Sony Xperia Z, but for the price it is offered at, the features, functions and applications do pack a punch.