Are you planning to sell your old Xiaomi phone? We are assuming that you have found a buyer and securely transferred all the media. Now is time to factory reset (or what some may call hard reset) your once beloved Mi Phone. Irrespective of it’s a good friend or a stranger from OLX, you want to be 100% sure that you don’t pass any of your sensitive info or private files along with your old phone.
For the uninitiated, all smartphones comes with an in-built hard reset/factory reset feature which automatically erase all the information stored on the device’s internal memory. As the name itself suggests, it returns your phone to almost the same stage in terms of data to how it had originally left the manufacturer’s factory.
How To Factory Reset Your Mi Phone?
Method 1: Factory Reset via Recovery Mode
- Switch off your smartphone.
- Press and hold together power button and the “Volume Up” button.
- You will be led to the recovery mode where volume down/up button can be used for scrolling up and down while power button is used to select an option.
- Select ‘wipe data’ option and then select yes.
- It will now start the factory reset process. Once the process completes, you can now select the reset option to clear all data and then reboot.
Also Read: EASY WAY TO REMOVE MALWARE FROM MOBILE PHONE
Method 2: Reset using Phone’s Settings
- Open the “Settings” application in your Mi phone.
- Select Backup & Reset in the General Settings section.
- Tap on the factory data reset option.
- Choose whether or not if you want to remove downloaded apps and contents from the external SD card.
- Next, select the reset phone option to perform hard reset.
Advantages of a Factory Reset
New smartphones with further enhancements and new features keep entering the market making the existing models out-dated in a really short span. The hard reset option makes it much more secure to sell you older smartphones to buy in a newer model.
Moreover, manufacturers also allow for the option to perform a factory reset remotely in case of a theft or instances of the user losing their mobile phone. Thus, it helps in preventing sensitive information of the user from falling into wrong hands.
Limitations of performing a Factory Reset
However, factory resets aren’t as full proof as most users would ideally like them to be. Factory reset wipes data only from local storage. Thus, data saved in the SIM card or a memory card can still be accessed in case of a possible data-theft. While it does not make much of a difference to ordinary users, it can have disastrous consequences when the data in question is highly confidential or of larger significance.
In Case You Found This Article Interesting, You May Also Want To Read: Is Whatsapp End To End Encryption Really So Fool Proof?