After several reports stating that Google Pay is planning to charge a nominal fee for instant transfers, the digital wallet platform has clarified that the fee will only be applicable for its users in the United States. Google said that the users of Google Pay in India will not be charged for money transfers through its payment platform.
India was the very first market space where Google Pay was launched to help users make payments via UPI and tokenized debit or credit cards. To meet up the changing demands of the consumers, Google is launching a redesigned Google Pay app next year on Android and iOS, starting with the United States.
The tech giant recently released a notice on the web app that explicating that the site will not be operational from January 2021. “These charges and fees are specific to the US and do not apply to the Google Pay or Google Pay for Business apps in India,” said a Google spokesperson.
The official statement read, “Starting early in 2021, you won’t be able to use pay.google.com to send and receive money from other people. To send and receive money, use the new Google Pay app,” the company has informed its users in the US.” Google also clarified, “It can take 1-3 business days when you transfer money to your bank account. Debit card transfers are usually instant. There is a fee of 1.5 per cent or $.31 (whichever is higher) when you transfer out money with a debit card.”
How To Use Google Pay
For those who have not installed the app, here is a simple guide on how to use Google Pay and win exciting offers and cash back.
- Open App Store or Play Store on your smartphone and download Google Pay
- Once installed, open the app and select your preferred language
- Enter the registered mobile number you are using in the smartphone
- The app will instantly send a push SMS asking for necessary permissions, allow them
- Login to your Google account and click continue
- You will now receive an OTP to complete the verification process
It is necessary to register a bank account with Google Pay to initiate peer-to-peer transaction. To do so, ensure your bank supports UPI transactions. Once confirmed, follow these simple steps:
- Open Google Pay and tap on your photo
- Tap on ‘Add bank account’ option
- Select the bank from the mentioned list
- If you have an existing UPI account and PIN, the app will request you to enter it, otherwise create a new one
- Enter the expiry date
- Wait for the verification process to complete
- Voila, you are ready to use Google Pay app
Also Read: Google Pay ‘Go India’ Game Launched
Stay tuned to this space for latest updates. Sign in for our newsletter to get daily news delivered to your mailbox.