WhatsApp new features update this week includes shortcut to the Facebook Messenger Rooms. The social media giant is taking its latest video-conferencing tool to the instant messaging platform too. A shortcut for the new Facebook Messenger Rooms has been rolled out on the desktop application and web version of the messaging platform. However, we are hopeful that it will soon be available to the WhatsApp mobile app too.
Facebook Messenger Rooms have been the latest offering from the social media giant. The platform allows video-conferencing with up to 50 participants and hopes to take on the likes of Google Meet and Zoom in the growing space. Notably, the video-conferencing platforms have witnessed an unprecedented rise in their popularity following the COVID-19 lockdowns. This has prompted various tech firms to come up with their own video-conferencing platforms including JioMeet and AirtelBlueJeans from India’s telecomm leaders.
How to create/access Facebook Messenger Rooms via WhatsApp?
Firstly, you need to update your WhatsApp to the latest 2.2031.4.version. Then follow the given steps to create a Messenger Room for the video conference –
- Click on the three vertical dots on the top left of the app’s screen.
- Select ‘Create a Room’ option.
- You’ll see a new window. Tap on the “Continue with Messenger” option to create a messenger room.
- You’ll be taken to messenger app. (You may be asked to update your messenger app if you are on a previous version.)
- Once you have the latest version of Messenger and are logged in, click on “Create Room”.
- You can now give a name to the group and click on “Room activity” to customise the purpose of the group.
- Finally, you have created the group.
- Click on ‘Send link on WhatsApp’ option and select the individuals and groups to share link.
- Tap ‘Send’ to invite participants.
Additionally, you can also choose another account if you want to use a different account to create a Messenger Room.
Steps to create Messenger Rooms via Chats
The company has also added a Messenger Rooms shortcut to both individual and group chats.
- Open the Chat and click on the attachment icon.
- Select the last ‘Room’ option.
- Click on the ‘Continue in Messenger’ app to open messenger.
- Create room on Messenger app.
- Send link to your WhatsApp contacts.
You can also check out the WhatsApp FAQ page for more details.
Notably, Facebook has also rolled out the Messenger Rooms feature on its popular photo sharing app, Instagram earlier in May. The vast integration is expected to help the new video-conferencing platform reach the company’s wider user base from other social media apps including WhatsApp and Instagram.